There’s nothing better than a quick dip in one of New York City’s 50+ public pools on a hot summer day, however, the only problem? Everyone else has the same idea!
Rather than swimming shoulder-to-flipper with dozens of others, New Yorkers 62 and older have special access to senior-only pool hours at 14 of the city’s most popular swimming holes through the Senior Splash program.
While seniors are welcomed to swim laps or simply paddle on their own, most participating pools also offer a variety of aquatic exercise programs led by certified swimming instructors, offering seniors a great low-impact way to stay active on even the hottest days.
To join in on the fun, simply visit your nearest participating pool during Senior Splash hours with a photo ID – you’ll be registered and in the water in no time!
Remember, swimming can be a great way to beat the heat, but everyone should take precautions when going to the pool:
- Be sure to bring well-fitting non-slip shoes to avoid sliding on wet surfaces
- Always apply sunscreen and remember to apply more after getting out of the water
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after your swim to stay hydrated
- Try to wear loose, light colored clothing, a hat and sunglasses when not swimming
- Most pools offer free public lockers – be sure to bring a small padlock and have a way to hold onto your key while swimming
One of the most rewarding aspects of providing home health care is empowering older New Yorkers to engage with their communities and enjoy all the experiences our city has to offer. To learn more about SelectCare and how we help New Yorkers live happier, healthier lives in their long-time homes, call today or request a free in-home health care guide.